At Imperial, we work every day to responsibly develop Canada’s energy resources – applying technology and innovation to supply affordable, accessible and reliable energy while reducing emissions in support of a net-zero future. Imperial recognizes the important role we can play by advancing climate solutions within our operations and by providing lower life-cycle emission products to our customers. This effort is powered by a unique and diverse workforce fueled by a pride in what we do and what we stand for.
The success of our upstream, downstream and chemical, and corporate divisions is the result of the talent, curiosity and drive of our people. They bring solutions every day to optimize our strategy in energy, chemicals, lubricants and lower-emissions technologies.
At Imperial, we want you to come for the position and stay for the career. We invite you to bring your ideas and help create sustainable solutions that improve quality of life and meet society’s evolving needs.
Come be part of the Upstream Department at Imperial which has more than 140 year history in Canada and a workforce of 5,500+ total employees. Our offices are located in Cold Lake, AB.
What role you will play in our team
The Cold Lake Operations Team is looking for Power Engineering Technician students to work in our Plant Facilities. As a Plant Operation’s student, you will be working with operating staff in the process, water reuse or steam plant facilities. Under the supervision of senior operating staff, you will learn safe and reliable operating skills, supplemented with formal training. This is a 4-month student work term from May 2024 to the end of August 2024.
What you will do
- Understanding and abiding by all safety rules and standards, reporting hazards and assuming responsibility for the safe operation of your assigned facility, tools, and company vehicles.
- Participating in safety programs and attending training sessions.
- Understanding and abiding by applicable government regulations, e.g. Transportation of Dangerous Goods and Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System.
- Assuring established loss control and environmental standards are followed while demonstrating responsibility for personal safety and the safety of others
- Assisting in the day-to-day operation of process, water reuse and steam plant units including process equipment, steam generators, cogeneration units, water treatment facilities, compressors, pumps and treaters
- Monitoring equipment operation and process variables to identify and correct sub-optimal performance
- Assisting in the preparation of equipment for maintenance
- Actively participating as a team member in the design/engineering of new ideas
- Working together with trades and contract personnel as necessary
- Safely performing physical tasks at times, e.g. lifting, climbing ladders, walking on uneven ground
- Performing minor maintenance and plant housekeeping in a safe manner while protecting the environment
- Collecting samples, assessing lab data and performing follow up activities relating to product quality
As the successful candidate, you will:
- Experience a processing facility working with power engineers, technical engineers, reliability engineers, and facility management personnel
- Participate in discussions and daily tasks including operator rounds, sampling, equipment preparation and site emergency simulations
- Be provided with on-the-job training by experienced employees
- Qualify for ABSA steam time
Skills and Qualifications
- Prefer first year student enrolled in Power Engineering Technology diploma
- Important: If available, submit your most recent unofficial transcripts with your application. Unofficial transcripts will be required if selected for an interview.
Preferred Qualifications/ Experience
- Work schedule is a rotating shift of days and nights
- Basic computer literacy
- Valid class 5 driver's license and safe driving record are required. Driving is an occupational requirement. Occasional driving on gravel roads will be required for transportation between sites.
- Sound reasoning ability, good communication and interpersonal skills, high level of self-initiative, comfortable working within a team environment,
- Ability to work at heights
Start date: Q2, 2024
Location: Cold Lake, AB
- We thank all those who apply; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
- For applicants selected to be interviewed, pre-employment background screening will be required.
- To be considered for employment, your most recent unofficial transcript(s) must be submitted.
Work term: 4 Months
Imperial is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Imperial is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all individuals and encourages all eligible applicants to apply.
Imperial conducts business in a manner that respects the land, environment, rights and cultures of Indigenous communities. In the areas where we explore, develop and operate, Imperial engages Indigenous communities in open and forthright consultation and strives to establish meaningful relationships built on mutual trust and respect. Please see here for more information on Imperial’s Indigenous Relations Guiding Principles and Guidelines.
Imperial is committed to supporting persons with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with qualified applicants to provide reasonable accommodation upon request at Recruiting.Services.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility to work in Canada
All applicants who receive an offer of employment must be eligible to work in Canada on a regular full-time basis without restrictions on their start date. Proof of eligibility shall be in the form of a Canadian birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, Canadian certificate of permanent residence, Canadian open work permit or receipt from Immigration Canada of an application for a post-graduate work permit.
Proof of eligibility must be current and valid (not expired, cancelled or voided). Proof of eligibility will be required if an offer of employment is made. Failure to provide proof of eligibility at least six (6) weeks prior to the start date may result in the offer of employment being rescinded.