The Langley Concrete Group, in business for more than 50 years, operates state of the art facilities for the production of high quality precast concrete products supporting major infrastructure projects, industry and community development across western Canada. The people of The Langley Concrete Group don't just make great precast concrete products, we help build the future! From protecting our vital streams and rivers from pollutants with sophisticated storm water management products to beautifying urban landscapes with visually attractive retaining wall systems, communities are built on the quality products we manufacture.
The primary focus of this position is to provide relevant and practical work experience to an Engineering student who intends to pursue a career after graduation in the Engineering field related to infrastructure construction.
He or she will work in a team environment to provide quality work helping us achieve our organization's expectations to produce the highest quality pre-cast concrete products.
This position is a key component of the engineering and technical team and is essential to create and provide required CAD drafting and production documentation to our production staff, and engineers consistent with the specifications and requirements outlined by our Engineering and Technical Sales staff.
The Engineering Co-op Student will effectively gain the required working knowledge of the concrete pre-cast industry to apply industry specific standards, following functional specifications of the designs assigned to them.
The goal will be to provide the Engineering Co-op Student with professional employment skills to increase confidence and success in the work force. Our preference is for 2nd, 3rd. or 4th year students for a minimum 8 month term to allow the incumbent the maximum opportunity to learn and grow in the role.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Work on assigned projects to create drafts of proposed drawings, accurately checking dimension of parts, materials to be used, relation of one part to the other, and relation of various parts to whole structure or project, to ensure the structural integrity according to established engineering principles.
- Utilize gained knowledge of concrete products and our pre-cast concrete production methods, engineering practices, mathematics, formwork and steel materials to complete accurate and relevant complete final drawings for assigned projects.
- Accurately store the job files, production job sheets, and drawings in an organized manner in appropriately named and logical computer file locations, incorporating automated tasks using script files.
- Submit for review to requesting staff member and include appropriate input feedback received, if necessary, to make any required changes or adjustments to project work.
- Use industry accepted methods to manage CAD drawings related to drawing set ups, layers and line types, view port and layout management, dimensioning tools, and blocks and attributes.
- Assure work projects and drawings are accurate and conform to the requirements of industry related standards such as ASTM, CSA, and/or other project related engineering standards.
- Work with Quality Assurance Staff to learn how ACPA Q-Cast program requirements are related to Engineering specifications.
- Where deemed necessary, participate in meetings and work closely with technical, manufacturing and production personnel to ensure quality and accuracy of work projects.
- Keep staff members apprised of progress on assigned projects and when seen relevant, communicate design concerns and alternate solutions for consideration, and assist in completing design revisions to provide most effective solution to our customers.
- Working with Production Staff, Sales Manager, and company product engineer prioritize work load and successfully assigned projects for design engineering review and approval within defined timeline.
- Communicate with Senior Production Coordinators while working on assigned production related projects to learn how to utilize existing forms and concrete pre-cast production methods for a product.
- Effectively communicate with appropriate staff members if additional information is required to complete assigned projects on a timely basis to insure scheduled completion dates are maintained.
Job Requirements: This role is located at our Chilliwack manufacturing facility. A drivers license and/or reliable transportation is a necessity for this role. Our manufacturing facility location is not served by transit.
Qualifications and Requirements required for this position:
- Enrollment in a recognized University Co-op Student program
- Certificate of completion for Basic AutoCAD, AutoCAD 2, AutoCAD Civil 3 D, Architectural drawing or similar computer aided drawing program.
- Microsoft excel and word, excellent math skills, communication skills, and mechanical aptitude
- Strong problem solving skills and the ability to implement practical solutions.
- Good color vision and the ability to visualize designs in 3D.
Job Types: Internship / Co-op, Full-time
Salary: $25.85 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Do you have a driver's license and/or reliable transportation? There is no transit access to our site.
Work Location: In person