At Imperial, we work every day to responsibly develop Canada’s energy resources – applying technology and innovation to supply affordable, accessible and reliable energy while reducing emissions in support of a net-zero future. Imperial recognizes the important role we can play by advancing climate solutions within our operations and by providing lower life-cycle emission products to our customers. This effort is powered by a unique and diverse workforce fueled by a pride in what we do and what we stand for.
The success of our upstream, downstream and chemical, and corporate divisions is the result of the talent, curiosity and drive of our people. They bring solutions every day to optimize our strategy in energy, chemicals, lubricants and lower-emissions technologies.
At Imperial, we want you to come for the position and stay for the career. We invite you to bring your ideas and help create sustainable solutions that improve quality of life and meet society’s evolving needs.
Come be part of the Upstream Department at Imperial which has more than 140 year history in Canada and a workforce of 5,500+ total employees. Our offices are located in Calgary, AB
What role you will play in our team
Imperial is looking for ambitious and highly motivated business students to join our accounting and finance organization. You will be working in a fast-paced team environment and expected to prepare, analyze, interpret and communicate financial results while maintaining effective business controls.
What you will do
These are some examples of work-terms:
- Business Analysis and Reporting Analyst – prepare and analyze asset level financial information for presentation to management in support of Imperial's various business lines
- Project Accountant – work with the business to understand and report project expenditures, enforce contract compliance and ensure strong business controls are in place
Student terms will also include a variety of short-term projects designed to provide challenging practical work experiences in multiple CPA technical competencies such as financial reporting, management accounting & analysis, audit and assurance, strategy & governance, finance and tax.
Skills and Qualifications
• 2nd, 3rd or 4th year university student currently pursuing a degree in business, a concentration in accounting is preferred
• Strong desire to obtain a professional accounting designation
• To be considered for employment, your most recent unofficial transcript(s) must be submitted with your application
Preferred Qualifications/ Experience
• Excellent analytical, problem solving and communication skills
• Self-motivated, willingness to learn, attention to detail and demonstrated leadership
• Geographic mobility
• Work schedule: Full time position
Start date: January , 2024
Location: Calgary, AB
Work term: 4, 8 or 12 months
- The accounting roles provide opportunities to develop specific technical and enabling competencies required to successfully obtain a CPA designation.
- Benefits of working with Imperial include - ability to participate in the Finance Function Mentorship Program and the New Hire Development Program, industry experience and competitive package.
- Successful networking and mentoring programs enable you to spend time with managers from across the organization to learn about other departments and opportunities. Also allows you to connect with peers at a similar experience level.
- Continuous learning environment encourages you to augment your skills and capabilities - i.e. improve your knowledge of SAP and Excel functionality, increase your understanding of the Oil & Gas industry, and sharpen analytical and time management skills.
- One scheduled Friday off per month.
- Term relocation assistance is available for those who qualify.
- We thank all those who apply; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
- For applicants selected to be interviewed, pre-employment background screening will be required.
- In certain situations, Imperial may use your application to consider your suitability for other positions in the company and may also provide the information to its affiliates, including affiliates of ExxonMobil Corporation, in connection with possible opportunities at those affiliates.
- In certain situations, ExxonMobil may use your application to consider your suitability for other positions in the company and may also provide the information to its affiliates, including affiliates of Imperial Oil, in connection with possible opportunities at those affiliates.
- To be considered for employment, your most recent unofficial transcript(s) must be submitted.
Application Deadline: September 24, 2023
Imperial is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Imperial is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all individuals and encourages all eligible applicants to apply.
Imperial conducts business in a manner that respects the land, environment, rights and cultures of Indigenous communities. In the areas where we explore, develop and operate, Imperial engages Indigenous communities in open and forthright consultation and strives to establish meaningful relationships built on mutual trust and respect. Please see here for more information on Imperial’s Indigenous Relations Guiding Principles and Guidelines.
Imperial is committed to supporting persons with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with qualified applicants to provide reasonable accommodation upon request at Recruiting.Services.email@example.com.
Eligibility to work in Canada
All applicants who receive an offer of employment must be eligible to work in Canada on a regular full-time basis without restrictions on their start date. Proof of eligibility shall be in the form of a Canadian birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, Canadian certificate of permanent residence, Canadian open work permit or receipt from Immigration Canada of an application for a post-graduate work permit.
Proof of eligibility must be current and valid (not expired, cancelled or voided). Proof of eligibility will be required if an offer of employment is made. Failure to provide proof of eligibility at least six (6) weeks prior to the start date may result in the offer of employment being rescinded.