Requisition ID: 163819
Job Level: Internship
Home District/Group: Eastern Canada District
Department: Construction Operations
Employment Type: Full Time Temporary
Are you interested in a hands-on real-world learning experience directly related to the skills needed in a full-time construction career? In this internship, you will have the opportunity to develop, participate and learn key roles and functions within construction management.
Our mission is to make a difference and we offer opportunities for you to make one too through our construction operations. Whether we’re boring tunnels through mountains, turning rivers into energy or building bridges that connect communities, we depend on our passionate, skilled, and safety-obsessed construction professionals to get it done right. You bring your big ideas, commitment to top quality, and an unwavering work ethic. In return, we offer huge career and travel opportunities and the satisfaction of building the next big thing from the ground up. There’s a reason Kiewit attracts the best: we offer fast-paced excitement and fulfillment you won’t find anywhere else.
Eastern Canada District's projects include highways, bridges, mass transit, mine site development & open pit operations, hydroelectric powerhouses, wind-power plants, dams & industrial. The serve the construction and mining industries and operates in Eastern Canada.
One of the many things that makes Kiewit’s culture unique is that we go where the work is, which exposes your career to abundant opportunities. We relocate our teams based on the work that is available, combined with the development plans, skill sets and career goals of each team member. This means your Kiewit adventure is custom designed to meet our shared needs. The location of your assignment will be determined closer to your start date. There are several internships available in Ottawa, Oakville, Kingston, Toronto, Laval and more!
Interns will have the opportunity to work as part of a dynamic team under the guidance of experienced engineers. You may be called upon to perform a variety of engineering and construction management tasks. The intern will be placed in one of the three areas: office intern, field intern and estimating intern.
You will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Field engineering, operation planning, cost control, project scheduling, quantity tracking, material procurement, contract administration, estimating & supervision of field activities
- Performing engineering tasks requiring standard techniques and handling minor problems of a technical nature arising during construction
- Maintaining records as required regarding job progress, costs, material usage, etc.
- Planning and scheduling of job and/or job segments
- Investigating problems and/or reported incidents, identifying, and recommending solutions/alternatives as appropriate
- Reviewing plans and specifications to determine material requirements (quantities and qualities), pricing of materials, etc.
- Working with suppliers as required facilitating the handling and expediting delivery of materials
- Estimation of costs for large-scale projects
- Use of several software (Hard Dollar, AutoCAD, P6, InRoads etc.)
• Ability to travel or relocate as needed
• Ability to work full-time during the Fall (September to December)
• Currently pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in civil engineering, construction management or related
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in a wide-ranging climates and environments
• Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative
• Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time
• Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
• Passion for safety, with the ability to help us ensure that nobody gets hurt
• Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
• Team player with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
• Strong organization, time management, and attention to detail
• Other common names for this role: Office Engineer Intern, Office Intern, Field Intern
• Regular, reliable attendance
• Work productively and meet deadlines timely
• Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment
• Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
• Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
• May work at various different locations and conditions may vary
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We believe in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination and comply with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.
About the Company:
Construction, Contract Manager, Civil Engineer, Intern, Entry Level Engineer, Engineering, Legal, Entry Level