Imperial is one of Canada's largest corporations and has been a leading member of the country's petroleum industry for more than a century. We are the largest refiner and marketer of petroleum products - sold primarily under the Esso and Mobil brands - across the country. A proven leader in hydrocarbon research, development, production, manufacturing, distribution, supply and logistics and marketing, we offer tremendously challenging and diverse employment opportunities.
Imperial is recruiting for engineering students supporting our Kearl Oil Sands Mining operations in the following roles:
Kearl Mining Engineering Student:
Under the guidance of engineering staff, you will learn skills in the area of mine planning & design, mine technology, data analytics, and other mine performance improvement projects. You will be offered a wide range of challenging duties and learning experiences where you will gain insight into open pit mining and Oil and Gas operations.
Kearl Tailings Planning Engineering Student:
You will support the engineering staff working in tailings planning. Under the supervision of engineering staff, you will learn skills in the area of tailings planning, fluid tailings management, fines treatment and tailings modeling/mass balance. The tailings planning team works closely with a multi-disciplinary technical team including reclamation planning, mine planning, the project team, and civil engineering.
Kearl Water Resources Engineering Student:
You will support design, modelling, and monitoring of Kearl's water resources infrastructure (hydrology and hydrogeology), including pumping wells, monitoring wells, ponds, ditches, sumps.
Kearl Mining Field Engineering Student
- Under the guidance of the Operations Leads in Mine Services you will be a member of a multi-skilled operations team. You will get in-depth exposure to mining operation and learn the key drivers to safe and successful mining. The team is responsible for all work related to water management, small civil scopes, fuel and lube and all auxiliary activities to ensure delivery of production targets.
- Working closely with the site engineering team and operational leadership you will be offered a variety of opportunities to integrate engineering and technical knowledge to solve operational challenges through collaboration, innovation and challenging to status quo.
The role is 14/14 rotation at Kearl site, hubs are Calgary, Edmonton and Fort McMurray.
• Studying to achieve a bachelor's or master's degree in mining, Civil, Petroleum, Geotechnical, or Geological engineering
• Available for a 24, 16 or 12-month work term beginning in September 2023
• Currently enrolled in a University Engineering program and returning to full-time studies after the work term
• Your most recent unofficial transcript(s) must be submitted with your application
• Demonstrated leadership and strong academic skills
• Previous field-based experience (work term) will be an asset but not a requirement
• Commitment to safety on and off the job
• Strong written and verbal communication skills in English are required for all roles
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and in a team-based environment
• A valid driver's license and a safe driving record is required for site-based positions
• Work schedule: Full time position
Start date: September 2023
Work term: 24 ,16 or 12 months
Location: Calgary, AB (Occasional travel to Kearl Site)
Who we are
A leading member of Canada’s energy industry, Imperial invests in new technology to responsibly meet today’s energy challenges, reducing our environmental footprint and remaining committed to high safety standards and working with communities and our Indigenous neighbours. Our Kearl oil sands operation north of Fort McMurray, Alberta, represents the next generation of oil sands mining, and is positioned to provide exciting career opportunities well into the future.
Imperial is committed to supporting persons with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with qualified applicants to provide reasonable accommodation upon request at Recruiting.Services.email@example.com
- For applicants selected to be interviewed, pre-employment background screening will be required.
- We thank all those who apply; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Eligibility to work in Canada
All applicants who receive an offer of employment must be eligible to work in Canada on a regular full-time basis without restrictions on their start date. Proof of eligibility shall be in the form of a Canadian birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, Canadian certificate of permanent residence, Canadian open work permit or receipt from Immigration Canada of an application for a post-graduate work permit. Proof of eligibility must be current and valid (not expired, cancelled or voided). Proof of eligibility will be required if an offer of employment is made. Failure to provide proof of eligibility at least six (6) weeks prior to the start date may result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Application deadline: July 01, 2023
Imperial is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all individuals.
In certain situations, Imperial may use your application to consider your suitability for other positions in the company and may also provide the information to its affiliates, including affiliates of Exxon Mobil Corporation, in connection with possible opportunities at those affiliates.