Reports To: Senior Actuarial Analyst
Liberty Mutual Canada is the Canadian operation of Liberty Mutual Insurance Company. We offer a broad suite of commercial insurance products and solutions to mid-size and large Canadian companies with Canadian, North American and/or multinational risks. Liberty Mutual Canada has over 250 employees and services its clients coast-to-coast from our regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal and Halifax.
At Liberty Mutual Canada, diversity is about all of us. Our promise to you is a culture that is collaborative, rewarding and empowering. We are committed to attracting and retaining employees across all dimensions of diversity and believe that recognizing, appreciating, and applying the unique insights, perspectives and backgrounds of each person cultivates an atmosphere of trust and respect. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) is how we do business, and we’ll continue to invest in it to create a stronger global organization.
If you are unsure whether or not your experience matches every requirement below, we encourage you to apply anyway. We are looking for varied and diverse perspectives and experiences that we can add to our team!
Our core values guide all of our decision-making and come to life through our benefits and employee programs. We offer:
- A premier flexible work environment (a combination of on-site & remote work) supporting our employees in their pursuit of a healthy work-life balance
- Competitive time off policy
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs
- Participation in our national employee committees’ initiatives – social responsibility, employee engagement, diversity, equity & inclusion
Liberty is seeking two (2) Actuarial Co-Op Students to assist senior actuary staff with various responsibilities and functions, while learning actuarial theories and procedures. As part of the actuarial department goals in the field of data science, we are looking for individuals who will be able to help design and build models, tools, applications, systems, and platforms for actuarial and data science analytical work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Data extraction from various sources and systems, and manipulate the data: Moderately complex calculations
- Work with very detailed insurance data: premium and loss data, exposure data, and financial data
- Calculate premium rate changes, exposure changes, loss development factors, and other quantities.
- Produce reports and high-quality exhibits graphs tables etc. for senior actuarial and business use
- Actuarial Pricing and Profitability Studies for individual accounts and entire portfolios
- Quarterly Actuarial Loss Reserving and year end analysis: Work with Loss Development Triangles
- Financial Modeling, Financial Plan, and Scenario Stress Testing
- Be able to think conceptually at a fairly complex level as well as attention to detail.
- Build pricing tools and pricing models.
- Deductibles and Increased limit factors.
- Work with loss models, frequency and severity distributions, aggregate loss distributions, simulations, time series, correlation and covariance, parameter estimation, model best fit, etc.
- Be able to build and develop programming models that start with basic data and follow the conceptual path to a business objective
- Be able to very quickly develop a very high level of skill in the following programming systems:
o Microsoft Excel
o Microsoft Access
o VBA macros
o Programming Language R
Skills & Qualifications:
- Currently enrolled in a university degree program in Actuarial Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics or other relevant discipline and still actively enrolled until at least May 2023
- Solid academic standing in Mathematics, Statistics, and analytical skills at the university undergraduate level
- Strong interest in developing a very high level of programming and data analytic skills
- Basic knowledge of insurance principles
- Strong oral and written communication skills across a broad range of subjects
- Very strong work ethic and willingness to continually learn
- Completion of the Casualty Actuarial Society exam 1 is preferred.
Liberty Mutual Canada is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment where all employees feel valued and supported. We are committed to building a workforce that is representative of the communities we operate in and serve. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process due to a disability (which may be invisible or visible, temporary or permanent), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs. #LI-Hybrid