Who needs insurance? Everybody. That keeps us busy. Very busy. At the Intact Lab, we use machine learning, data science, software engineering, AI, agility, UX and design thinking to transform the customer experience for millions of Canadians.
Join our team and get ready to explore, take risks, make mistakes, and learn all day, every day. We’ll support your goals with tools, opportunities, and flexibility. It’s our employee promise.
Our hybrid work model preserves the balance between working from home and enjoying meaningful in-person interaction. The needs for every role are different but on average, you will be together with your colleagues at least once per week, with our leadership team in office three to four days weekly to be present for their teams.
Ready to make your mark?About The Role
It’s more than a great career. It’s a bright future.
If you’re a student who wants to fast-track your career AND get valuable and in-depth industry experience while you do it, this is an opportunity for you!
We aim to be the best insurance AI shop in the world and we’re cultivating the next generation of tech and talent to help us do it. As an Intern or Co-op student joining our innovation lab, you’ll be surrounded by a diverse team of experts who are transforming the insurance experience for millions of Canadians. Think machine learning, data science, AI, agility, UX, rapid prototyping, and design thinking – it’s all in a day’s work at Intact Lab.
Each year, we welcome more than 300 interns from coast to coast. A term with our lab means you’ll get the experience, coaching, training, development, support, and flexibility you need to be your best self and do your best work. You’ll meet amazing people along the way, help solve real business problems, and make a difference, together.
As a Data Science Co-op/Intern, you will take on stimulating projects that offer opportunities to learn and grow as part of a multidisciplinary team with a mandate to develop and roll out innovative products.You may be a good fit for this role if you:
What You’ll Do Here
- Have strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Are an effective communicator
- Are well organized, with good time management skills
- Are able to work independently
- Are creative
- Are comfortable working as part of a team
Here are a few reasons why others have joined our team:
- Transform complex data sets into meaningful insights, conclusions and recommendations
- Participate in developing completely new and innovative solutions, using machine learning, AI and statistical approaches
- Get experience working with different types of data including telematics, text data and image data
- Be on the lookout for new approaches and opportunities to integrate them into the solutions you design
What You Bring To The Table
- Experience first-hand what it’s like to work as a Data Scientist and learn more about how advances in technology are shaping the way the insurance business works
- Explore new ideas and learn best practices in a fun, inclusive environment
- Put your creative mind to work while you help the team solve problems and contribute to challenging, meaningful projects
- Be a part social events with the team, where you will meet new people and celebrate successes
What We Offer
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's, Master's or PhD, in artificial intelligence, data science, computer science, mathematics, statistics or a related field
- Available to work with us full-time (35 hours per week) for 4 months (September 2023);
- Practical experience in data science, machine Learning or deep learning
- Practical experience with Python
- Knowledge of Big Data tools: Spark, Hadoop (an asset)
- Knowledge of computer vision or natural language processing (NLP) (an asset)
- Understanding of data science approaches in financial services (an asset)
Working here means you'll be empowered to be and do your best every day. Here is some of what you can expect as a temporary member of our team:
We are an equal opportunity employer
- Inspiring leaders and colleagues who will lift you up and help you grow
- Access to tools and resources to support physical and mental health, embracing change and connecting with colleagues
- A dynamic workplace learning ecosystem complete with learning journeys, interactive online content, and inspiring programs
- Inclusive employee-led networks to educate, inspire, amplify voices, build relationships and provide development opportunities
- A Community Impact program, because what you care about is a part of what makes you different. And how you contribute to your community should be just as unique.
At Intact, we value diversity and strive to create an inclusive, accessible workplace where all individuals feel valued, respected, and heard.
If we can provide a specific adjustment to make the recruitment process more accessible for you, please let us know when we reach out about a job opportunity. We’ll work with you to meet your needs.
Click here to review other important information about the hiring process, including background checks, internal candidates, and eligibility to work in Canada.If you are an employee of Intact, belairdirect, or Johnson Insurance, please apply for this role on Contact People.