Deadline: May 5, 2023
OPEN DOORS WITH THE APPLIED ARTS AWARDS
Breathtaking portfolio piece. Strut with confidence. Fast-track to landing your first job. Winning awards open doors.
"After getting my work published in the Student Awards issue of Applied Arts, I was extremely fortunate to have been contacted by two agencies ... and was hired!"
Marvin Veloso, Graphic Designer, Student RGD, Alumni of Seneca College
Since 1992 the Applied Arts Awards have helped creative individuals bolster their careers. Our mandate is to foster new creative talent to help them earn recognition, confidence and initiative. Winning an Applied Arts Award will not only help you get your work noticed, it shows initiative to the creative industry. Whether you are just starting your journey or looking to launch your career, the Applied Arts Awards give you an advantage in this competitive market. So draw attention to yourself now and be remembered when you send in your resume.
"I can’t begin to express how much your awards program has done for my career as a design professional. It’s opened so many doors being a past winner."
Vicky Li, UX Designer, Wing, San Francisco, CA, Alumni of OCAD University
WHAT WINNERS RECEIVE
- Their winning work published online in the Winners Gallery, in the Advertising & Student Awards Annual, set to release in December 2023 and promoted across our social platforms to an audience of well more than 178,500 senior-level creative's in the advertising and design industries.
- A complimentary copy of the Student & Advertising Awards Annual.
- A personalized Awards certificate for each winning entry signed by Georges Haroutiun, Applied Arts founder/art director.
The Applied Arts Student Awards competition is open to high school and post-secondary students completing a degree/diploma studying in a creative arts program; such as:
- Integrated Advertising & Design Programs – Brand activation, brand identity, digital experiential/innovative, social responsibility, etc.
- Creative Advertising – Print, digital, radio and video
- Graphic Design – Editorial, packaging design, promotional design, typography
- Digital, Motion & Gaming – Apps, digital content, animation, game design & development, motion and website design
- Photography & Illustration - Illustration, photography, mixed media and 3D modelling
Be sure to review the Call for Entry kit and 2023 Categories Kit for important information and tips on entering.
BE ONE OF THE STUDENTS THAT HOLD THE ATTENTION OF OUR 2023 JURORS!
Open internationally to post-secondary (under-graduate and graduate studies) and high-school students. All entries are submitted digitally, in hi-res format. Only digital entries are accepted for this competition.
High-School Students | Are only eligible to apply to the high school categories.
Graduates | If you graduated from a post-secondary school within the past year, you may still submit work completed during your studies.
Work completed either as a school requirement or independently (personal work), during any year of your schooling, is eligible to be submitted to the competition (but not work submitted previously).
CATEGORIES & ENTRY FEES
Entry fees vary per sub-grouping and category. Please be sure to download the 2023 Student Categories Kit for detailed pricing.
INTEGRATED ADVERTISING & DESIGN PROGRAMS - $40
- Brand Activation Program
- Brand Identity Design Program
- Concept Development
- Digital Experimental/Innovative Program
- Entire Advertising Campaign
- Entire Design Program
- Entire Packaging Design Program
- Entire Promotional Design Program
- PR/Social Media Campaign
- Social Responsibility Program
ADVERTISING - SINGLE / SERIES: $35
- Print/Offline Ad or Promotional Messaging
- Digital Advertising
- Video – Any TV or Online Ad
DESIGN - SINGLE / SERIES: $35
- Corporate Design Applications
- Logo Design or Rebranded Logo
- Editorial Design
- Packaging Design
- Product Development
- Promotional Design
- Typography Design & Application
DIGITAL MOTION & GAMING - SINGLE: $40
- Digital Animation
- Digital Content
- Motion (Video or Short Film)
- Website Design
PHOTOGRAPHY & ILLUSTRATION - SINGLE / SERIES: $35
HIGH SCHOOL - SINGLE / SERIES: $20
Entries can be from any application from the sub-groupings above.
ACCEPTABLE FILE FORMATS AND RESTRICTIONS:
- File Format: PDF (recommended), JPG, PNG, GIF
- File Size: 8-inches (or 2,400 pixels) on the longest dimension
- Resolution: Min. 300 DPI
- Colour Mode: RGB
- File Limit: Max. 5 MB for images/PDF files
MOTION / ONLINE VIDEO / BROADCAST VIDEO / AUDIO
- File Format: MP4, MP3
- File limit: Max. 80 MB
- IMPORTANT re MP4: Video files will be resized by our system to 800px wide keeping aspect ratio.
DIGITAL / INTERACTIVE
- File Format: Show digital/interactive entries as a walkthrough as an MP4, website, URL to file sharing site or PDF.
- Note for URLs: Password-protected URLs are not allowed. Ensure the URL is accessible until December 2023.
RECOMMENDED BEST PRACTICES
Entries are judged online. Here's how to help the judges:
- A multi–page PDF is preferred over multiple, individual JPG or PDF files.
- More is not better. Curate your images to the maximum indicated for each category, except where noted below.
- Use a multi-page PDF to give judges the full picture at a glance. Show multiple views of 3D pieces, zoom in on small print or details and show complex/novel work in the context of how it was seen by the audience.
- For conceptual or innovative work, ensure the judges understand the assignment/objectives, by including a brief description. Keep it short and concise/to the point (max. 50 words, or up to 10 seconds if video).
- Look at your entry on a smaller–screen and ensure all-important details are legible at that size, as that's how a judge may be viewing it.
HOW TO ENTER
The entry form consists of five (5) steps. You will have the option to save your progress during each step of the process.
CREATE YOUR "MY ENTRIES" ACCOUNT.
This is your Applied Arts Awards account for all Awards competitions. Once logged in, personal account information can be updated, a new entry can be started, copied from an existing one, or edited; and you can pay for all or some entries.
Bookmark https://www.appliedartsmag.com/myentries/ for easy access to your account later.
Be sure to provide a phone number and email address that you access regularly outside of school when setting up your "My Entries" awards account. All winners will be notified in June, so it is CRUCIAL that you are available to provide any additional images or information we may need for the Awards Annual.
NOTE: If you've entered the Applied Arts Awards previously, please use the email address associated with your account.
All entrants must complete an online entry form in My Entries, regardless of payment method, to be eligible for entry.
All entrants will be notified by mid-June 2023 via email. At that time, you will have only 48 hours to correct or finalize creative credits and descriptions.
To ensure you don't miss the results notifications, add email@example.com to your address book.
WHAT WINNERS RECEIVE
- Their winning work published in print in the Advertising & Student Awards Annual.
- Their winning work published online – both in our Winners Gallery on appliedartsmag.com as well as our social media channels for all winning entries.
- A complimentary copy of the Winter 2023: Advertising & Student Awards Annual.
- A personalized, awards certificate for every winning entry signed by noted designer Georges Haroutiun, the founder and art director of Applied Arts.