JOIN US IN POWERING CHANGE
We are looking for interns who share our purpose to power progress and our culture of inclusion, collaboration, and care. We’ll give you the support you need to forge your own path, and you’ll have real responsibilities and meaningful projects to work on right from the start.
WHERE YOU FIT IN
Shell’s purpose is to power progress together, by providing more and cleaner energy solutions. We believe that rising standards of living for a growing global population are likely to continue to drive demand for energy, including oil and gas, for years to come. At the same time, technology changes and the need to tackle climate change means there is a transition underway to a lower-carbon, multi-source energy system.
As one of the world’s leading energy companies, Shell plays a key role in meeting the world’s growing energy demand in economically, environmentally, and socially responsible ways. There has never been a more exciting time to be part of the energy industry. Join us in our ambition to be a net-zero emissions energy business by 2050, and sooner if that is possible.
SHELL IN CANADA
Shell has been proudly operating in Canada since 1911. Today, Shell Canada has over 3,100 employees across the county and operates 1,395 stations from coast to coast in addition to a refinery in Sarnia, ON and an expanding chemicals park in Fort Saskatchewan, AB (the Scotford Complex)
We are excited to play a key role in the move to net-zero carbon emissions while providing the oil and gas needed by society for many decades to come.
In Canada, we do everything from exploring for oil and gas, to refining and manufacturing, to discovering new ways to reduce emissions
, to delivering fuels to our customers from coast to coast.
We have many successful businesses and projects
across Canada, including:
- a strong and rapidly growing Upstream business built around the Montney and the Duvernay shale plays, on a foundation of Foothills sour gas;
- a successful Downstream business anchored in our Sarnia refinery (Ontario) and our Scotford refinery and upgrader (Alberta) as well as our two world-class petrochemicals plants near Edmonton;
- a network of 1,300 retail sites across Canada – a vital point of connection for our customers to us – which makes us one of the pre-eminent fuel retailers in the country;
- strong Aviation, Sulphur and Lubricants businesses;
- an innovative Supply and Trading business;
- a prospective LNG export project in Kitimat, B.C.
Canada is especially well-suited to offer lower carbon energy solutions thanks to our highly experienced workforce, our abundance of natural resources and supportive government policies. In Canada, Shell is actively exploring opportunities to invest in new fuels for transport, renewable power and customer solutions enabled by digital technology to lead the global movement towards cleaner energy.
WHAT’S THE ROLE?
An Assessed Internship is an excellent way to get to know Shell from the inside and immerse yourself in the energy industry. It can also help you decide what career path is right for you. You’ll have full day-to-day involvement in actual projects, selected to match your interests and abilities.
You’ll join a project team and work alongside Shell employees who are all professionals in their fields. Their perspectives will contribute to your understanding of our business, its demands, and rewards.
A supervisor and mentor will support you directly and you’ll undertake regular assessments throughout your internship to ensure you get the most from the experience.
As part of the Assessed Internship, you’ll have a formal mid-term review with your supervisor and mentor. At the close of your internship, you will be asked to prepare a presentation about your project and there will be discussion on project delivery and performance by your supervisor and mentor.
An internship with Shell will provide you with:
- 4 to 16 months experience in your chosen business area
- A real project with a significant level of business impact
- An opportunity to discover which skills you would like to develop through constructive feedback and an opportunity to take on meaningful work
- A chance to build and develop valuable networks and contracts for future career opportunities
Our typical Grad Program opportunities within the commercial streams are in Calgary, AB and technical streams are in Fort Saskatchewan, AB and Sarnia, ON.
What We Need From You
You should enjoy being challenged, so that rather than being daunted or overwhelmed if a task seems impossible, you welcome the opportunity to be innovative. You also need to be good at absorbing information, analysing problems, making objective decisions, and coming up with original ideas. You should have the drive, and resilience to get things done, the flexibility to work well as part of a team and the credibility to influence others.
We are looking for ambitious students who are currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution and meet the following criteria:
- Actively enrolled in a post secondar program in a Canadian university with least one more semester of education left following your internship
- You must have a minimum Cumulative GPA (CGPA) of 3.20
- You must be legally entitled to work in Canada by way of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency, or a valid work permit which would allow you to work for Shell
- If you are selected for a role in a safety-sensitive position, you will be required to successfully complete a Medical and/or Alcohol & Drug tests
Engineering Focused Opportunities:
You are actively enrolled in a Chemical or Electrical Engineering Program and will complete at least one more semester of education following your internship. Current roles include:
- Process Engineering Intern
- Process Automation and Controls Engineering Intern
- Pressure Equipment Integrity (Mechanical/Materials) Engineering Intern
- Greenhouse Gas Modeling Engineering Intern
- Economics and Scheduling Analyst (Chemical) Engineering Intern
- Reliability and Machinery Engineering Intern
Commercial/Business Focused Opportunities:
You are actively enrolled in a Business, Commerce or Supply Chain Program and will complete at least one more semester of education following your internship. Current roles include:
- Trading & Supply Intern
- Commercial Scheduling Intern
- Energy Transition Intern
Join the Shell Assessed Internship Program and Power Change from Day One.