Crooked believes that we need a better conversation about politics, culture, and the world around us—one that doesn't just focus on what's broken, but what we can do to fix it. We are a media network that showcases stories, voices, and opportunities for activism that inform, entertain, and inspire action, because it's up to all of us to do our part to build a better world.
Crooked Media's INSPIRE Intern Program is dedicated to empowering our next generation of change-makers to help showcase stories, voices, and opportunities for activism that inform, entertain, and INSPIRE action. So, basically, you'll get to do some really cool shit, be mentored by kick-ass people with a drive to impact change. And yes, it's paid. INSPIRE will run from June 13, 2022 - Aug 19, 2022 and is full-time at the rate of $15.50/hr.
This program will be an in-person intern program. Meaning all interns will need to be located in the Los Angeles area for the duration of the program. In addition, Crooked requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination and subsequent booster to combat the spread of Covid-19.
Our Content Production team is looking for potential interns interested in, but not limited to, the following areas:
How You'll Spend Your Time:
- News & Politics (domestic and foreign policy, topical news, the Supreme Court, health & climate content)
- Comedy & Pop Culture (political satire, topical news, cultural commentary, sci-fi & fandom)
- Programming & Production (development, market research, content support)
What You'll Take Away:
- Support research and news synthesis for shows
- Attend recordings and take recording notes
- Pitch and develop segments and story ideas with fresh eyes
- Help content team connect with and develop new audiences
What You'll Bring To The Table:
- Learn to identify and pitch news and culture stories, and extrapolate the key points and takeaways
- Develop ability to hone a point of view on a story, or angle
- Develop research and writing skills
- Learn about podcasting, production, and content standards
- Seniors and Juniors level students are preferred
- Political Science, Sociology, History, English, Writing, Journalism or related majors
- Strong research skills and writing skills
- Strong fact-checking and news sourcing skills
- Proficiency in social media is a plus
- Knowledge, understanding, and interest in US politics and political systems, culture and sports
- No previous internship or work experience is required, but experience as a research assistant, news intern, or campaign staffer / intern, that's a plus.
- Prior life experience is required - a variety of work, internship, service industry, volunteering, military, etc. are considered
- Action-oriented, resourceful, fun/funny, casual yet professional with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Legally able to work in the US (without visa sponsorship) in a full-time, paid internship is required
We welcome everyone—as an inclusive workplace, we invite all our employees to bring their authentic, whole selves to work. Our mission and intent is to encourage people from every nation, race/ethnicity, belief, gender, gender identity, sexual identity, disability, and culture to feel respected and valued for their unique contributions to our company.
We approach our work courageously, adapt and improve constantly, and celebrate the wins big and small. We cultivate a culture of creativity and expression at Crooked Media. We hire the best talent, ensure they have the tools and training they need, and set them free. If you have a high degree of ownership and are driven to excel, you'll fit right in.
That's it. End of mission.