Come Work with Us!
At RBC, our culture is deeply supportive and rich in opportunity and reward. You will help our clients thrive and our communities prosper, empowered by a spirit of shared purpose.
Whether you’re helping clients find new opportunities, developing new technology, or providing expert advice to internal partners, you will be doing work that matters in the world, in an environment built on teamwork, service, responsibility, diversity, and integrity.
2023 Summer Student - Personal & Commercial Banking - Design Researcher (4 months)
What is the opportunity?
On the RBC Digital Design team, we encourage designers at all stages to continuously learn and grow. We put strategy, research, design principles, and technical innovation at the center of everything we do. We are a leader when it comes to exceptional digital experiences in the financial space and our focus on our users is an integral part of this success. As an intern design researcher on our team, you will be immersed in an environment that fosters curiosity and a learning mindset.
Our design researchers channel the voice of our users to help our team build empathetic, intuitive, and delightful experiences. As a member of our team, you’ll work with a cross-functional group of designers, product managers and developers. Embedded in a product, journey, or channel, you will identify upcoming decisions that need research inputs, propose methodologies, carry out fieldwork, analyze, and socialize the implications.
What will you do?
- Collaborate with product managers and research partners to understand key customer target needs and moments of truth that reveal new opportunities to innovate.
- Support design researchers at defining current state customer pain points and mapping ideal future experiences.
- Work with product design and technology leads to deliver amazing experiences to market while developing new feedback loops and opportunities to optimize our digital and physical customer ecosystems.
- Assist with developing research activities to evaluate prototypes, improve understanding of current context, or to generate new understanding of changing user needs
- Communicate core themes and implications from your research activities to the design team and other stakeholders
What do you need to succeed?
- Enrollment in a post-secondary institution (university or college) working on a degree in Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, Information Studies, Design (e.g. interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial), Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Computer Science (CS), or a related field
- Passion for learning about people and behavior in the worlds they inhabit and getting at the motivations that lie beneath.
- The ability to synthesize research into concreate frameworks and visualizations that business stakeholders will understand.
- Ability to create lean prototypes and stimuli that tease out compelling value propositions with customers.
- Comfortable working on ambiguous, multifaceted fuzzy problems, sometimes alone but mostly with multidisciplinary teams in a dynamic environment.
- Proficient with research frameworks and tools.
What's in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- Opportunities to do challenging work
Participates in and supports the operational activities of a business unit. Applies experience and complete working knowledge of the job and policies/practices to perform a combination of routine tasks and varied administrative/operational assignments.
TORONTO, Ontario, Canada
Personal and Commercial Banking
Student/Coop (Fixed Term)
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
At RBC, we embrace diversity and inclusion for innovation and growth. We are committed to building inclusive teams and an equitable workplace for our employees to bring their true selves to work. We are taking actions to tackle issues of inequity and systemic bias to support our diverse talent, clients and communities.
We also strive to provide an accessible candidate experience for our prospective employees with different abilities. Please let us know if you need any accommodations during the recruitment process.
Join our Talent Community
Stay in-the-know about great career opportunities at RBC. Sign up and get customized info on our latest jobs, career tips and Recruitment events that matter to you.
Expand your limits and create a new future together at RBC. Find out how we use our passion and drive to enhance the well-being of our clients and communities at rbc.com/careers.