Come Work with Us!
At RBC, our culture is deeply supportive and rich in opportunity and reward. You will help our clients thrive and our communities prosper, empowered by a spirit of shared purpose.
Whether you’re helping clients find new opportunities, developing new technology, or providing expert advice to internal partners, you will be doing work that matters in the world, in an environment built on teamwork, service, responsibility, diversity, and integrity.
2023 Summer Student - Personal & Commercial Banking - Design Technologist (4 months)
What is the opportunity?
On the RBC Digital Design team, we encourage designers at all stages to continuously learn and grow. As an intern student on our team, you will be immersed in an environment that fosters creativity and a learning mindset.
Our team has over 200 designers, we work with an even larger team of developers, product managers, and business stakeholders over 10 lines of business. This scale and complexity makes delivering a consistent, high quality experience for our customers a meaningful challenge. Our Design Platform team facilitates the co-creation and documentation of the systems, tools and frameworks that enable design at scale. We’re part of the team helping to operationalize design at RBC.
This is where you come in: as an intern design technologist, you will help our Design Platform team scale product design across the organization so that we can deliver better, more consistent experiences to our customers.
What will you do?
- Help to identify and find solutions for common needs in the UI design and development of our products
- Constructing reusable and customizable UI elements, components and patterns to be used with Figma
- Creating pixel-perfect concepts and designs for UI components & patterns, with the help of a visual designer
- Participate in design review sessions with product teams, gain consensus and get approvals on design approaches
- Designing and architecting feature sets & APIs for components
- Collaborating with product designers to understand their needs and use cases
- Creation of design system documentation
- Contribute ideas for moving our design system and platform forward
What do you need to succeed?
- Enrollment in a post-secondary institution (university or college) in a degree program related to design or engineering (e.g. interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial), Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Computer Science (CS), Systems Design Engineering or a related field or equivalent practical experience
- Understanding of and interest in web standards and best practices
- Solid knowledge of design tools (Figma, Sketch, InVision DSM, etc.)
- Ability to articulate design strategy, rationale, and logic; describing benefits and highlighting risks associated with design decisions
- Understanding or experience using component frameworks (React, Angular, Vue, etc.)
- Knowledge of JSON APIs
- Aware of Web accessibility considerations: Colour contrast, keyboard navigation, assistive technology
- Understanding of responsive design
- Knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming theory & approaches
- Passion for learning how to make the most out of design & development tools
- Proven problem-solving abilities
What's in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- Opportunities to do challenging work
Participates in and supports the operational activities of a business unit. Applies experience and complete working knowledge of the job and policies/practices to perform a combination of routine tasks and varied administrative/operational assignments.
TORONTO, Ontario, Canada
Personal and Commercial Banking
Student/Coop (Fixed Term)
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
At RBC, we embrace diversity and inclusion for innovation and growth. We are committed to building inclusive teams and an equitable workplace for our employees to bring their true selves to work. We are taking actions to tackle issues of inequity and systemic bias to support our diverse talent, clients and communities.
We also strive to provide an accessible candidate experience for our prospective employees with different abilities. Please let us know if you need any accommodations during the recruitment process.
Join our Talent Community
Stay in-the-know about great career opportunities at RBC. Sign up and get customized info on our latest jobs, career tips and Recruitment events that matter to you.
Expand your limits and create a new future together at RBC. Find out how we use our passion and drive to enhance the well-being of our clients and communities at rbc.com/careers.