To celebrate the entrepreneurial spirit of young Canadians, Enactus Canada runs the Student Entrepreneur National Competition, proudly presented by HSBC Bank Canada. The Student Entrepreneur National Competition enhances the success of full-time students operating businesses, who are creating jobs and advancing the Canadian economy.
This past year alone, Enactus Canada student entrepreneurs and their business ventures have employed 180 people and generated nearly $4.5 million in revenue.
Every year, student entrepreneurs present their businesses to panels of Canada’s industry leaders in national competitions in order to be named Student Entrepreneur National Champion.
PLEASE NOTE: Nominations for the 2021-22 Student Entrepreneur National Competition will be opening on September 13, 2022. The nomination deadline for the 2022-2023 Student Entrepreneur National Competition is November 30, 2022.
STUDENT ENTREPRENEUR NATIONAL COMPETITION
The Student Entrepreneur National Competition, proudly presented by HSBC Bank Canada, is the largest national program to focus solely on full-time Canadian post-secondary student entrepreneurs. It recognizes and rewards student entrepreneurs from across the country for their dedication and ambition, while offering support to ensure the success of their business.
Since 1997 Enactus Canada has operated this competition to celebrate the commitment, determination and achievements of student entrepreneurs. This competition is open to full-time students at Canadian universities or colleges who are simultaneously operating their business.
To be eligible for the award, students and their businesses must meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time undergraduate and/or graduate student at a Canadian university or college for the current academic year. Students must be enrolled full time in at least two of three semesters between May 2022 and April 2023 to be eligible for the competition.
- Be a founder and have at least 25% ownership of the company with no other individual or group with greater ownership, and must be the individual primarily responsible for the business’ operation.
- Have not been a previous National Champion of this competition or competed in the Final Round of the Student Entrepreneur National Competition in the previous school year.
Nomination and Application Process:
- In the Fall of every year, nominations for the Student Entrepreneur National Competition are accepted through an online nomination process. The nomination deadline is November 30, 2022
- Upon nomination, nominees receive an application via email
- Nominees have until January 9, 2023 to submit their completed application to Enactus Canada
Opening Round of Competition:
- Nominees are asked to submit a written application outlining their company and their experience as an entrepreneur
- Nominees have the opportunity to attach a short video pitch to supplement their application
- Judges review applications and select the top 12 finalists
- The 12 finalists go on to compete at the Enactus Canada National Exposition, in a live multi-round competition. They will be grouped in 3 opening round leagues, with the winner of each league moving on to the Final Round of Competition
Final Round of Competition:
- Also taking place at the Enactus Canada National Exposition, the top 3 finalists will present their ventures to a panel of top executives and industry leaders.
- Judges will determine the Student Entrepreneur National Champion
Additional details can be found in the 2022-2023 Student Entrepreneur Handbook
PRIZES AND MEDIA COVERAGE
- Finalists will receive complimentary lodging and travel to attend the Enactus Canada National Exposition
- The Student Entrepreneur National Champion (1st) will receive a $10,000 cash prize
- The Student Entrepreneur National Runner-Up (2nd) will receive a $4,000 cash prize
- The Student Entrepreneur National Second Runner-Up (3rd) will receive a $2,000 cash prize
- Enactus Canada pursues local and national media coverage for each finalist and national champion
To nominate a student Entrepreneur, click here here